Sunday 8 March 2009

What I know about men and women

In the Observer Women's magazine today, there is an interview with Fay Weldon, writer, - What I know about Men, and with Mathew Horne, actor - What I know about women.

Both interviews are really interesting - Fay Weldon describes a completely men free upbringing and the thrill of sex at University - 'there was no contraception, so sex with thrilling and dangerous'.

After reading Mathew Horne's interview I am a fan with his positive attitude to sexuality and desire for a more sensible society that frees men and women from restrictive gendered expectations - 'i think we should be in a society where everybody is free and not suppressed by restrictive ideas of sexuality. I am a gay straight man or a straight gay....I don't want to have sex with men, that's all. It doesn't upset me. It doesn't disgust me. I just don't want to do it. Women he goes on to say respond in different ways - they either find it intriguing or threatening.
Here are the links to the interviews;
Whilst on the subject of Mathew Horne, his current play in the West End, Entertaining Mr Sloane is excellent - Imelda Staunton, who played Vera Drake, the brilliant film about abortion, is also in the play.

No comments: