Friday 28 December 2012

Trigger material for working with young people

One of the biggest luxuries of any holiday is the joy of being able to read more than one newspaper from front to back, and to read books at leisure for long periods.  I have been catching up on a backlog of The Week magazines, and as well as a couple of relatively trashy novels I have read Clare Baldings biography.

If I was still doing work with young people on a regular basis I would have been typing up and laminating a few quotes as trigger material for discussion with young people.  They are below in case they are any use to you in your work.  I would use them in a number of different ways with some, but not all groups and can be used to replace or update material in the range of sex and relationships education resources that exist.

On being the same, being different, being true to who you are and respecting difference;

In the Epilogue of Clare Balding's book 'My Animals and Other Family' p. 255 she says the following;

I have learned not to take too much notice of those who disapprove of my lifestyle choices, because I know that I was not designed to be part of the crowd.  If I am different, I make no apology, and I hope that others will have the courage to be themselves and to stand up for what they believe in, fight for those who need protection, love who they want to love, and be proud of it.      

On the importance of thinking about what we tweet, text of put on Facebook

The Week magazine said 'Bad week for Sally Bercow after Lord McAlpine confirmed that he is suing her for £50,000 over an allegedly libellous tweet'. 

I have spoken to a lot of sex educators who have said it is a struggle to connect about Facebook, sexting and tweeting without the discussion getting defensive.  By using something that is not to do with sex, but demonstrating there are potential consequences even of what we put on social media it has the potential to trigger discussion about this important issue in a safe way.

And on love and careers

Lady Gaga was quoted in the Sun Herald, Gulfport MS as saying 'Some women choose to be men, and some women choose to follow their dreams.  If you're wondering which way to go, remember that your career will never wake up and tell you that it doesn't love you anymore'.

And on marriage here is the extract from a letter to the Times, Bernard Kingston from Kent said

'.....seems to suggest that the concept of same-sex marriage undermines the significance of traditional marriage when it clearly does not.  It complements it.  Nor is the absence of procreation (in marriage) a problem....'


No comments: