Saturday 4 July 2009

The event

I have just been training ahead of the British 10k next week (you can sponsor me and support Brook at www.justgiving.com/10feetrunningforbrook

It was hot and I was pleased to finish running for the day. Around the edge of the park there is one of those now common place signs that tell you about traffic problems, or events in the West End. Normally it is quite specific. For example, sticking to the theme of running, not long ago it told you to avoid central London because of the marathon. Today it just said avoid the West End as there is an 'event'. I may be being cynical or suspicious, maybe the letters P-R-I-D-E really were not working today. Except of course there are two e's in event which blow that theory. So is it because PRIDE is a gay event that the detail was not provided? Who knows.

I mentioned it to a friend, who was obviously in a more generous mood, who said maybe it is in case the sign would encourage protesters. I leave you to decide.

On a different note, I have just finished reading 'the other hand' by Chris Cleave. A really remarkable book which I recommend completely. I would tell you a bit about it, but on the back of the book it says ' we don't want to tell you what happens in this book. It is a truly special story and we don't want to spoil it.'

1 comment:

Millie said...

Well done on completeing the 10k! Thats quite an achievement!

I was in the Soho area for some of the Gay Pride stuff, it was a fantastic atmosphere, and I also noticed that outside the event areas nothing was mentioned as to what was going on!

I may be cynical but this has got to stop. now.